Hair by Shaunda

My photo
Professional Hairstylist here! In love with everything hair! Bringing you new trends from celebs to the around the way girl!! Also giving helpful health and beauty tips for your hair! Trust me! xoxo

3/20/14

Tips for growing long, healthy hair.


  Ladies!.... Are you having a hard time growing your hair out?  Does your hair seem to never grow past a certain length? Or did you cut off your hair and now you want your precious hair back? (Yeah ) well I have a few tips to help you out! 

1) commit to growing your hair out!! Stick to it! Growing your hair takes time and patience...it's not going to happen overnight. I know it's frustrating ,you may get bored with it all and cut it into some cute style....don't get discouraged! A lot of my lovely clients opt for wearing a sew-in method of hair extensions to protect their hair from Stress until they have achieved a certain length! Here are a few photos of my clients  with hair that has grown long and healthy from wearing protective styles.... 

See her hair in the left photo? Well, she has a full sewin in the right picture.... (Click on picture to expand) ...Now her hair looks like this....

Check out my other beautiful clients with long natural hair!! 

Shall I continue ?.....




2) Deep condition and treat your hair with oil cocktails once a week. Mix half and half of a heavy protein conditioner and olive,almond,jojoba,coconut or Argan oil. Saturate your hair with it and leave it in for 30 minutes. Always rinse with cool water! 

3) Do not shampoo too much... Everyday is too much! 2 or 3 times per week is the maximum number of shampoos I'd recommend! Shampooing too often will dry your hair. Use a sulfate free shampoo, my favorite is RUSK deep shine oil shampoo, it's infused with moisturizers and Argan oil*. I understand most of you are active in some sport or may workout everyday, if this is the case, be sure to only cowash your hair with a heavy conditioner rich in oils and vitamin E. Finish with a leave in conditioner and 
style.


4) Trim,trim and trim your hair!!! Yes.... Cutting your hair WILL help your hair to grow longer and stronger!! Sounds crazy, but the fact is when you trim about a quarter of an inch every 6-8 weeks you will keep the split ends away which cause breakage and ugly flyaways. If you do not keep a fresh trim, you hair will break and breakage will take you away from your goal!

5) Stay away from rubber bands!!!! Rubber bands are equivalent to hacking away at your hair with a machete!!!! When I see my clients (especially the girls who are always complaining about their hair breakage) with big,thick rubber bands,squeezing the life out of their ponytail, I shake my head in disgrace. I put in all of that time and love into growing their hair and they have the audacity to come to the salon with a rubber baaaand (in my mommy dearest voice) Please,use a soft  scrunchy or twist your hair up into a clip. 

6) Beauty starts from within.... It really does! Take care of yourself. What you put in your body will come out. Drink plenty of water, take your vitamins, get enough sleep and excersise. Okay... I know there are a lot of vitamins on the market that promise to grow hair, hair and more hair for you . I have yet to try these wonderful pills out for myself to give you an honest review so, I won't! But, I know for a fact that a daily dose of vitamin C is great for your hair. Your body uses vitamin C to build collagen. Collagen is a fiber that is essential to the production of new hair cells. I also recommend the all mighty BIOTIN pills... Yes, biotin broke my face out with pimples from hell ,but all in all, my hair grew out super THICK!! 

7) Last but not least.... Put those irons down!!! Say NO to excessive heat styling!! Flat ironing that piece of your bang that sticks up all of the time everyday is murder to your hair!! If that bang and those edges could talk, I'm sure they would be crying and begging you to please stop hurting us!! :(...

Thank you for reading, I pray for much success on your journey to long, luscious tresses! Xoxo :)) 

2 comments:

  1. if you haven't done so already may you do on piece on natural hair in the military? i'm 20 in the military and commencing my natural journey. some of the problems i face is being able to maintain and actually do my own hair because my specific job consists of me being very active and being outside in all types of weather and the elements. usually i just keep my hair in box braids or senegalese twists but the military is starting to put a magnify glass on black hair and our protective styles referring to it as unkempt and now some branches have gone as far as to not allowing cornrows or dreadlocks and such in the workplace because it is "unprofessional". wigs aren't allowed in my area and i'm just looking for a way to meet standards without doing my natural hair damage or going to a relaxer to make them happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel, I would love to extend my advice to you on natural hair styling tips! look for a post soon!!

      Delete